The Grey Lynn Toy library is open every Wednesday 9.30 am to 11 am and Saturdays 9.30 am to 11.30 am from February to the start of December. The library is closed in December and January.
A toy library is a truly wonderful resource for all our children. Our community toy library has nearly a thousand toys for children from birth through to around 6 years of age. They are organised into the following categories.
- A: Dress Ups
- B: Baby or Infant toys up to 1 year
- C: Construction
- D: Water games and play
- E: Transport
- F: Outdoors including slides, water tables, and ball games
- G: Musical
- H: Role Play
- I: Theme including Duplo, Little people brands
- J: Ride Ons including an assortment of different bikes
- K: Puzzles
- L: Games
- M: Educational and Electronic
- Party Hire: We have a children’s party table with 12 child size plastic chairs, for hire at $15 for one week’s hire. We also have a range of decorative cake tins (such as numbers, teddy bear, butterfly, train), available for hire at $5 for a two-week period. Please see the librarian to book and pay for party hire. All party hire is available to members only.
We welcome you to come and browse through our range before joining.
Members pay one subscription fee for the year (depending on the month you join) with no additional costs to hire toys and no restrictions on the type or size of toy you can hire.
There are three types of membership:
- Full Subscription – This membership allows you to borrow up to 5 toys for a 3-week loan period.
- Rostered Subscription – This membership is a reduced fee subscription as it requires you to work in the library for 3 sessions during the year. You help to check in returned toys, keep the shelves tidy and do various odd jobs to help us keep the library running. Rostered members can borrow up to 4 toys for the 3-week loan period until they have completed all 3 duties which then qualifies them to borrow up to 5 toys. Rostered duties are a fantastic way to see all the toys on offer in the library and to meet other people in your community. One of the perks of working a duty is that you can set aside any toy that takes your fancy as it comes in through the returns desk.
- Community Services Card (CSC) Subscription – This membership is the same as the Rostered Subscription with a reduced fee for people with a Community Services Card.
Select a membership that suits you and join today!
Summer Holiday Toy Hire
While the library is closed in December and January we offer our large toys and ride-ons to members at a summer toy hire rate of between $5 and $20 per toy for the duration of the closure period. Details of toys, booking and payment are released in November. The popular toys are often snapped up quickly so it pays to be in quick.
Please note that you must have paid membership fees for the following year to be eligible to hire toys during the summer holidays.
The Boring but Necessary Part – The Rules and Conditions of Hire
- Please count and check your toy pieces against the bag label before you check them out of the library.
- You are responsible for returning the toys clean and dry, and for taking care of them when at your home.
- If you are late back with your toys you will be charged an overdue fine of $2 per toy, per week.
- If you lose a piece, or break a part of a toy you will be charged $5, or if the toy is no longer useable you will be charged a replacement fee relative to the age and condition of the toy. If you find a missing piece that we have charged you for, we will gladly give you back your $5.
- If you lose or damage one of the “zippit” or “stashit” toy storage bags you will be asked to pay their replacement cost (minimum $10).
- Rostered and CSC members are charged a $30 fine for each duty not completed.
- See our 2016 Toy Library Guidelines for more details.