The Grey Lynn Toy library is open every Wednesday and Saturday 9.30 am to 11.30 am from February to the end of November during school terms. The library is closed in December and January, but large toys are available for ‘summer toy hire’ for a small fee.
A toy library is a wonderful resource for all our children, and our charity has nearly a thousand toys for children from birth through to 8 years of age.
Members pay one subscription fee for the year ending December (depending on the month you join).
- Borrow up to 6 toys at once.
- No additional costs for toy hire (excluding ‘summer toy hire in Dec/Jan).
- No restrictions on type or size of toy you can hire at one.
- Standard 3 week loan period, renewable for up to 6 weeks via email to our librarian.
Toys are organised into the following categories:
- A: Dress Ups
- B: Baby/infant toys up to 2 years
- C: Construction – lots of toys for 4 years+
- D: Water games and play
- E: Transport
- F: Outdoors. E.g. slides, swings, ball games
- G: Musical
- H: Roleplay
- I: Theme e.g. Animals, pirates, ponies, superheroes, little people brands, duplo.
- J: Ride Ons including an assortment of different bikes
- K: Puzzles
- L: Games – great for family play and older children
- M: Educational and Electronic – counting, threading, laptops, microscopes
- Party Hire: We have a children’s party table with 11 child-size plastic chairs – $15 for one week’s hire. We also have a range of decorative cake tins (such as numbers, teddy bear, butterfly, train), available for hire at $5 for a two-week period. Available for members only – please see the librarian to book and pay.
Pay the amount listed in the month you join (including a one-off joining fee of $25):
Rostered membership: pay a reduced fee when you come in to do 3 ‘rostered duties’ per year at the library. This involves collecting toy returns, organising shelves, and helping pack away toys at the end of the session. Rostered duties are a fantastic way to see all the toys on offer and meet other people in your community.
Community Services Card (CSC) Subscription – Reduced fee for people with a Community Services Card. Includes 3 rostered duties as per rostered membership above.
To join, simply download, print and fill in a 2020 New Membership Form or pick up a form to fill in from the library during our opening hours.
We welcome you to come and browse through our range before joining. Our librarian is happy to assist with questions and can process your membership immediately so that you can start borrowing toys immediately. Pay by cheque, cash or online banking.
To renew your membership, simply download, print and fill in a 2020 Returning membership form or pick up a form to fill in from the library during opening hours.
Summer Holiday Toy Hire
While the library is closed in December and January we offer our large toys and ride-ons to members at a summer toy hire rate of between $5 and $15 per toy. Details of toys, booking and payment are released in November. The popular toys are often snapped up quickly so it pays to be in quick.
The Boring but Necessary Part – Rules and Conditions of Hire
- Please count and check your toy pieces against the bag label before you check them out of the library.
- You are responsible for returning the toys clean and dry, and for taking care of them when at your home.
- If you are late back with your toys you will be charged an overdue fine of $2 per toy, per week.
- If you lose a piece or break a part of a toy you will be charged $5, or if the toy is no longer useable you will be charged a replacement fee relative to the age and condition of the toy. If you find a missing piece that we have charged you for, we will gladly give you back your $5.
- If you lose or damage one of the “zippit” or “stashit” toy storage bags you will be asked to pay their replacement cost (minimum $10).
- Rostered and CSC members are charged a $30 fine for each duty not completed.
- See the guidelines attached to our membership forms above for more details.